Manufacturing Industries:- The branch of manufacture and trade based on the fabrication, processing, or preparation of products from raw materials and commodities. This includes all foods, chemicals, textiles, machines, and equipment. This includes all refined metals and minerals derived from extracted ores. This includes all lumber, wood, and pulp products. Moreover, manufacturing industries are the backbone of mechanical companies.
Mechanical Products are either made of plastics or metal.
Manufacturing Industries requiring Mechanical Knowledge:-
- Electronic and Electrical Equipment Industry: All establishments engaged in manufacturing machinery, apparatus, and supplies for the generation, storage, transmission, transformation, and utilization of electrical energy. This does not include industrial machinery and equipment powered by built-in or detachable electric motors (see Industrial and Commercial Machinery and Computer Equipment). (Definition Source: Standard Industrial Classification.
- Fabricated Metal Industry: All establishments engaged in fabricating ferrous and nonferrous metal products, such as metal cans, tinware, hand tools, cutlery, general hardware, nonelectric heating apparatus, fabricated structural metal products, metal forgings, metal stampings, and a variety of metal and wire products not elsewhere classified. (Definition Source: Standard Industrial Classification)
- Industrial and Commercial Machinery Industry: All establishments engaged in manufacturing industrial and commercial machinery and equipment and computers. This includes machines powered by built-in or detachable motors, with the exception of electrical household appliances. This includes power-driven hand tools but does not include other electrical equipment (see Electronic and Other Electrical Equipment and Components). (Definition Source: Standard Industrial Classification).
- Measuring, Analyzing and Controlling Instrument Industry: All establishments engaged in manufacturing instruments for measuring, testing, analyzing, and controlling, and their associated sensors and accessories; optical instruments and lenses; surveying and drafting instruments; hydrological, hydrographic, meteorological, and geophysical equipment; search, detection, navigation, and guidance systems and equipment; surgical, medical, and dental instruments, equipment and supplies; ophthalmic goods; photographic equipment and supplies; and, watches and clocks. (Definition Source: Standard Industrial Classification).
- Primary Metal Industry: All establishments engaged in smelting and refining ferrous and nonferrous metals from ore, pig, or scrap; in rolling, drawing, and alloying metals; in manufacturing castings and other basic metal products; and in manufacturing nails, spikes, and insulated wire and cable. This also includes the production of coke. (Definition Source: Standard Industrial Classification).
- Rubber and Miscellaneous Plastic Industry: All establishments not elsewhere classified manufacturing products from plastics resins and from natural, synthetic, or reclaimed rubber, gutta-percha, balata, or gutta siak. Many products made from these materials are classified in other industries, such as boats, toys, Buttons, etc. This includes the manufacture of tires but does not include recapping and retreading automobile tires. This also does not include the manufacture of synthetic rubber and synthetic plastics resins (see Chemicals and Allied Products). (Definition Source: Standard Industrial Classification).
- Transportation Equipment Industry: All establishments engaged in manufacturing equipment for transportation of passengers and cargo by land, air, and water. This includes the manufacture of products such as motor vehicles, aircraft, guided missiles and space vehicles, ships, boats, and railroad equipment. This does not include the manufacture of mobile homes (see Lumber and Wood Products), nor the manufacture of equipment used for moving materials on farms, in mines, on construction sites, in plants, etc. (see Industrial and Commercial Machinery and Computer Equipment.) (Definition Source: Standard Industrial Classification).
Different Departments where a mechanical engineer can work in these industries:-
- Sales and Purchase Department:- The Sales department is responsible for gathering customers/Clients with the help of marketing department providing them with the required Sales Quote as per customer order/drawings as per the company standards which a little knowledge of understanding mechanical drawing and standard bought out items. Once the order is confirmed they transfer the customer to design department Whereas purchase department is responsible for making the raw material purchase order and keeping a record of the storeroom. They also keep all the company purchase transaction record for company accounting purpose. They require a certain ERP software knowledge for completing the Job.
- Design Department:- The designing department is responsible for the getting in depth of the customer requirement and doing research and development on their projects or directly developing from their given drawings. They are also responsible for preparing BOM. Later they released the drawings for Manufacturing Department.
- Manufacturing Department:- This department is responsible for supervising workers/helpers at all the different manufacturing stages of production. They are also responsible for keeping all the details regarding the machine and raw materials used on the shop floor for production. They also work on planning the production to meet the customer deadline. They also do the packaging and dispatching job.
- Quality Department:- The quality department is responsible for inspecting the product at different stages of manufacturing, matching them with the customer drawings. Taking the corrective and preventive action in case of rejection. They also check the quality of raw materials and do the final Inspection before dispatching of the customer order.
- Programming Department:- They are responsible for CNC programming of the CNC Machine. For different manufacturing machine such as Punching machine, Robotic Welding, Bending, Laser cutting machine. Every CNC machine has its own CNC software.
Circuit Board Industry [CBI]
These types of manufacturing industries are responsible for the manufacturing of all the types printed circuit boards. They manufacture circuits boards related to Robotics systems, Defense system, Automotive systems and space systems. Circuit boards for electronic equipment also come under these industries. These industries are also responsible for assembling of different electric types of equipment such as integrated chips, transistors, diodes, resistors etc onto the circuit board.
These types of manufacturing industries are responsible for the manufacturing of all the types of electrical equipment, Support Frames, and Heavy Machineries. Washing Machine, ATM Machine, Electric Panel Boards and Enclosures, Cranes, Automobiles, Manufacturing Machineries such as Shredder, Press Brake etc are the few examples related to this type of Industry.
These types of manufacturing industries are responsible for the manufacturing of all the Plastics Products.Chairs, Toys, Automobile Interior, Daily use Products such as cosmetics, Bottles, Jars etc. Even some clothes are manufactured from Polyester.
These types of manufacturing industries are responsible for the manufacturing of all the products which requires a furnace for their manufacturing. Products such as Engine components, Gear Box, nuts and bolts etc comes under these type of Industry.